Saturday, May 24, 2008

Day 3-Step Zero: What to Do Before Searching

I wish I would have read this article a little sooner. It seems like I am always having to refine my searches in order to find what I am looking for. For instance, if I am looking for information on SmartBoards, far to often I would just Google something like SmartBoards, but this search is much to vast and I end up getting a wide variety of information that I really did not need. However, if I create my 3M list like Bernie Dodge has written about in this article, I have a much better chance of finding exactly what I am looking for. Using the 3M's will most likely take you to where you need to be to find the information you seek. As Mr. Dodge says, the key to good searching is to start well, and then to adjust your terms as you see what's out there and clarify your goals.

3 comments:

Lydia Horstman said...

I search the same way you do. I should use the advanced search to limit the amount of data I have to sort through. This is something I should teach my students how to do so that they too are more effective when searching.

Mrs. McFeely said...

Count me among the guilty. I also will be changing my search habits. Hopefully, I will begin to save a little time on the computer for both myself and my students.

Erika said...

I agree with you! I also wished I had read the article "Step Zero: What to do before Searching" a long time ago. Before taking classes with Dr. Christie I didn't know how to search. I would just type whatever came to mind and I ended up getting information that I didn't need. It was very frustrating.